Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Between chicken, bacon, and leather

Stacey has decided to buy a leather coat, which I fully support. When Stacey makes a proclamation, it becomes a mission. There is research, debate, and strategy. A detailed list of requirements is generated in her mind, which she shares in small bytes so as not to appear crazy. But she is a good friend and I know that she is crazy like a fox. I bet there is an actual list somewhere. We went to every store and stand, mostly looking because she knew if the proposed jacket didn’t meet her standards. We found it on Tuesday night. It’s navy blue with an upscale motorcycle thing going for it. I love it.
I went to Tuscan cooking class after the big purchase and made spinach risotto and chicken with pancetta, rosemary, and garlic. The whole chicken was wrapped with pancetta, browned, and then poached in wine, creating a fatty, juicy goodness. This was my first risotto and it was creamy and thick with very little fat. That rice is really amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and will make both again.
The ATM card was nowhere to be found so I hoped that Wednesday would be my lucky day. It was on Wednesday that Fed Ex finally found Via Guelfa 85, but Apicius would not accept the package because the recipient (me, the woman who had been asking them twice a day, every day, if I had received my package) was unknown. I called Rebecca at Apicius, and after a few tears she volunteered to call Fed Ex to set up a Thursday delivery. Stacey left early Thursday morning and I was left to hope for my ATM card. At noon, Rebecca called package in hand. Eight days later, I have my ATM card. I had won the battle, but the war was not over. The card had to be activated. According to the accompanying information, I had two simple options. I could either use a Wells Fargo ATM (none in Italy) or call from my home phone to activate. The Italian access code to Wells Fargo customer support is not an available to me or anyone else for that matter because it is blocked to cell phones and pay phones. I called my local branch at 9am Denver time. Finally, I was put into the big 800 number system and was able to activate my card. I have been hoarding money ever since. Right now, I have 1500€, which is about $2250. I really don’t know why and it is going to make my trip to Paris on Monday even sketchier, but I’m like Pavlov’s dogs. So I’ve spilled the beans, Paris is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment