Friday, October 30, 2009

Today, I got sandwich #1 at I Frattelli (prosciutto, goat cheese, and arugula) and sat in the Piazza dei Signoria to eat. A pigeon arrived as soon as the first crumb dropped. I watched him while I prepared to engage in the dance. He moves a little closer, then a little closer still. I shoo him away. He jumps three feet away and starts again. But something is different this time. The pigeon is hopping towards me. He gets to a point where he knows he is pushing it so he stands for a minute. That’s when I see that my lunch companion has a peg leg. That’s right, a leg, but no foot. It seems inappropriate to shoo the disabled, and he could see my weakness. He got to within a foot of me (excuse the pun). I shoved the rest of my sandwich in my mouth, being sure to leave more crumbs, and got the hell out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment