Monday, October 19, 2009

Boboli, it's not just for pizza

Stacey is taking a botanical illustration course and hopes to be a garden designer eventually so she was really interested in Boboli Gardens. I love green space, and Florence is severely lacking in public open space so I was totally on board. It was lovely to stroll through the gardens. The Italians are big into tree lined paths, and so am I.


Some sculptures were recently commissioned to show the juxtaposition of modern versus renaissance sculpture. I like the idea, but the sculptures were thin, pointy, abstract interpretations of the human form. The original sculptures are traditional, carved from white marble both substantial and elegant. The new sculptures are sinewy and violent. Personally, I think they should have been either substantial or elegant to harmonize with the existing sculpture while insert modern ideas. Why can’t we all just get along?

No comments:

Post a Comment