Monday, October 19, 2009

Verrazzano is not just a bridge to Jersey

I can’t believe I about to say this, but I took a tour. Addie, Sheila, Stacey, and I got on a bus with a group of people and rode to Chianti. Not usually my style, but it was free to Apicius students and included lunch. Gino from Castillo di Verrazzano met us at the entrance, and I liked him immediately. He reminded me of an Italian Chris Berman. (For those who don’t know, he is the anchor of ESPN’s football highlights show.) Within the first five minutes of the tour, Gino promised to share the wisdom he has acquired through his long life, and I was even more enchanted. These days I’ll take free wisdom wherever I can get it. I was surrounded by undergraduate college students that looked like teenagers. Stacey and I were even older than the chaperones.

I was expecting Gino to discuss how they made their wine, what made theirs different, etc., but got a youth oriented alcohol lecture instead. Drink for enjoyment, but not to excess, because wine is the key to food, friendship, and happiness. I was quietly amused by the speech, thinking he must have hosted hundreds of American 20 year olds through the years. Then I proceeded to “taste” a few too many times at the wine tasting myself. I guess you really have to watch out for the 37 year old divorcees.

Gino feels that wine should be enjoyed with food, and one should enhance the other. He then asked if anyone wouldn’t eat cured pork, and I knew the lunch was going to be good. We tasted three red wines from the vineyard. He gave a lesson on tasting as well as how to look cool while drinking wine. He was that kind of guy. We tasted two Chianti wines as big family style bowl of pasta with tomato sauce came to the table. The accoutrements were the true genius of the pasta was. There was house made olive oil, fresh parmigiano reggiano, and a dried spice concoction of oregano, garlic, and pepperoncini. The dried garlic was so delicious that I’m not even going to mention my breath. Next, the plate of cured meats arrived, including salami, mortadella, prosciutto, and cheese (aged goat, I think) along with a bowl of white beans, salad, and grilled bread with olive oil and garlic. After two bowls of the pasta, I was already stuffed, but filled another plate with meat, cheese, bread, and salad and tasted the third Chianti. One must take advantage of a free lunch. The prosciutto melted in my mouth, the salami was spiced with pepper and fennel, and the salad was fresh and crisp butter lettuce drizzled with the home grown olive oil. The tasting ended with biscotti and a shot of Verrazzano dessert wine, which all of the kids hated, but I loved. Food coma commenced on the bus ride home.

Gino says, “You must live life with your passion, not with your head.” I like that. Now, I just need to find my passion. Do you think I need to use my head for that? Regardless, the day at Verrazzano was wonderful, until the robbery…

No comments:

Post a Comment