Sunday, January 24, 2010

Woman with baggage available

I don’t know if you have been able to discern this from my previous postings, but travelling by myself with two suitcases totally stresses me out. I think transfering the luggage responsibility is the best reason I’ve heard to get remarried. I’m totally serious. That and changing my oil. I’m not just out for myself; my future husband won’t have to clean the kitchen or grocery shop. That seems fair.

I start to get nervous about my luggage days before I leave, especially in Europe because a lot of public transportation and walking is involved. I worry about the weight of my bag. I miss the days when I could pack as much as I could stuff into my suitcase without breaking the zipper. Now I lug my suitcase to the scale, remove a few scarves, a couple t-shirts, a pair of shoes. It’s the shoes that hurt the most. For this trip, I removed everything that wasn’t black, yellow, or purple. For those of you who know me, you know this made for a strange wardrobe. As if travelling with two bags isn’t enough, now I also have to deal with the guilt of additional baggage fees as well.

I can handle having my wallet stolen, getting lost, not having a place to sleep for the night, and getting food poisoning, but my luggage is torture. I know there is an easy solution to this problem. Pack light. One travel blog even recommends packing clothes that you plan to give to Goodwill. That way you can just donate the clothes while in Europe, no need to bring them home. (No, it wasn’t Rick Steves, but good guess.) Ugh. These suggestions are so fucking depressing. I’m going to Europe and I’m going to wear crappy old clothes that I hate? It is this sort of mentality that gives Americans a bad name. No. I want to look and feel good so if there is any man out there that hates grocery shopping, give me a ring.

1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete